City of Ghosts - Stacia Kane
Third time was apparently the charm for me, I loved this one! Chess finally let her fears go and omg, how sweet it was when she finally came clean and let all her feelings out!It was one thing to be brave when the world was tumbling down around her ears and she was pretty sure she was about to die. It was another to be brave when he leaned against her door and her hands shook ever so slightly and she knew -knew- that this changed everything.City of Ghosts had to be the grossest of the three Downside books; loads of stomach roiling, evil magic, dismembered bodies and disgusting, putrid 'fetishes' all combined in a wicked plot which made me shudder. This is truly urban fantasy at it's darkest, grittiest and most raw. Still, the way Chess goes about with a dogged determination to get to the bottom of the plot to overthrow the Church speaks volumes about who she is and wants to be despite her past and current circumstances. Downside is definitely a series that has grown on me and I am so glad that I stuck with it!