Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman - Maria Hamilton
A nifty little 'What If' P&P story, I enjoyed this mostly albeit skimmed a bit of the middle parts. Mr. Darcy, after the disastrous marriage proposal at Hunsford, embarks on a mission of self evaluation as he endeavors to become the man Elizabeth would find worthy of marrying. First, he makes it his mission to repair the damaged relationship between Mr. Bingley and Jane Bennett. Then, while in support of his friend, forces himself to come out of his shell of self consciousness and prove himself to be a changed man.While some of the reflections by both Darcy and Elizabeth were a bit long winded at the beginning, once the action got going and their private moments became more romantic as they grew closer, the story wrapped with a satisfying conclusion. I had a bit of a hard time at close to the very end when after a very proper, traditional portrayal of our beloved characters they went completely off the rails (and before they were married no less!) but over all this is a sweet retelling of the Pride & Prejudice tale.