Blood and Bullets - James R. Tuck
I read this book as part of the Read2Review program in the PNR & Urban Fantasy Fanatics discussion group! Thank you to them and the author for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Blood and Bullets. He lives to kill monsters. He keeps his city safe. And his silver hollow-points and back-from-the-dead abilities help him take out any kind of supernatural threat. But now an immortal evil has this bad-ass bounty hunter dead in its sights. . . Blood and Bullets was an intense and bloody sprint of a book! If you like extreme weaponry, kicking supernatural butt and gore, Deacon Chalk, monster hunter and all around bad ass, is your guy. After being the target in an ambush attempt, Deacon is off to the races in effort to find out who set him up and why. What he finds is definitely not what he anticipated because he immediately becomes embroiled in a bloody battle to thwart an ancient vampire’s megalomaniacal plan to enslave humankind.That said, Blood and Bullets was surprisingly not exactly my kind of read. There was way too much focus on the types of weaponry Deacon used and his macho posturing than story and no clear reasons as to exactly why Deacon was a threat. Sure the vampire seductress was hot for him (and we got numerous soliloquies on how appealing he is) but did she only target him to get in his pants or was it just because he was SO good at his job? I did like the addition of were-spiders to the supernatural lore (why not?) and loved what an amazing ally Charlotte became as she broke the vampire’s thrall and joined Deacon’s team. But ultimately I felt like instead of an urban fantasy thriller I was reading Guns and Ammo magazine.The interesting thing is that this type of story might draw more male readers to the genre as there is a distinct lack of male protagonist voices in urban fantasy novels. I would keep James Tuck on my radar to see where he goes with the development of the Deacon Chalk , Occult Bounty Hunter series when book 2, Blood and Silver is released this summer.